Thursday, January 3, 2008

Customer Service Matters




Three strikes and you're out. The last straw. The local deli lost a loyal patron last Saturday. And it was all because of poor customer service.

For years Lox, Stock & Bagel has been my favorite lunch spot, even a quick-dinner spot. For the most part, I go there because they have my favorite veggie burger, they know me when I walk through the door and they even ask me if I'm having the "usual" today. I especially like that they greet me with a large 1/2 & 1/2 tea with extra ice and lemon before I even order. On top of that, I always see friends and neighbors, it's like my own "Cheers", where everyone knows my name.

Last Saturday, however, LSB's surly cashier broke my trust. Building a customer relationship is like building trust; it might take years to build but only a second to break. As I'm writing, I realize that the issue is trivial, but I feel like customer service matters. The rude cashier added up our meal at the register and I watched as she added the cost of a chef salad PLUS the cost of lettuce, PLUS cheese, PLUS croutons, PLUS turkey. I asked, doesn't the salad come with lettuce, cheese, turkey, etc.? Well, yes, it does. So now she had to void the transaction. THEN, she started adding again, this time with my veggie burger. I know how much the veggie burger costs, and there's no extra charge for lettuce or cheese, or for any of the extras for that matter. I again asked the cashier and this time she adamantly disagreed and refused to alter my total. So I paid the bill total and grabbed the take-home menu on my way out the door.

I got to my car, put on my glasses. And yes, there it is in BOLD type: "Your choice of toppings no extra charge."

I decided I needed to go back to the deli and get a refund. My mission wasn't really about the $1 refund, it was about making a point to the rude cashier. Actually if I'm really honest, I think I just wanted an apology.

In the end, I didn't get an apology or good customer service, just another disagreement and an offer for my refund.

Customer service matters.

No comments: