A recent issue of Business Week features the power of the consumer and the importance of responsive customer service. As quoted in the subhead, "Memo to Corporate America: Hell now hath no fury like a customer scorned."Most of us can relate to the frustration of an endless phone session with robotic operators or the challenge of solving a technical problem with someone who's native language is one other than your own. The BW article sites extreme examples of smashing phones, using a sledgehammer on a laptop, stalking corporate executives, all actions borne out of the frustration from poor customer service.
With blogs and YouTube, brand America can no longer push the squeaky wheel to the side and hope she'll just give up. Oh, no, there's no sweeping. Complaints are recorded, written about and displayed for the world to see. The brands that want to stay on top are taking note and taking action.
The BW issue also included a ranking of the Customer Service Champs. I wasn't surprised to see USAA as #1 on the list. In fact, I just experienced USAA's excellent customer service while shopping for new homeowners insurance. Purchasing a new home has countless decisions to be made and I'm happy to report that checking off the insurance task was simply a pleasure. It was quick, easy and the fees were very competitive. I think the entire transaction took less than 15 minutes. I started by simply logging on to USAA's web site. I am already a member so I logged on with name and password and within one minute I had navigated my way to homeowners insurance, a brief questionnaire and an offer to receive an immediate phone call from USAA. I typed in my phone number and literally within 30 seconds I was talking with an agent who answered my questions and promptly sent the homeowners insurance quote for my new home. With such excellent service I decided while online to also estimate my car insurance and look ahead at the costs to cover my teenage son when he gets his driver's license in 6 months. Again I was pleasantly surprised at the competive rates, the quick answers and the comfort level with the agents on duty. USAA has earned my #1 ranking vote as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment